We have all heard the slogan. The one that the fire service uses in their safety campaigns. Yet when it comes to fireworks we are far more careless.
Now don’t get me wrong. I adore firework displays, I’ve been to Disney Florida and watched “Wishes” which was just amazing. I’ve seen them at Legoland and Thorpe Park. A professional display is stunning put quite simply. I’m a sucker for a good display, good being the key word.
Last weekend being Bonfire night there were bound to be a few injuries however two have hit the headlines. A 21 Year Old who was hit in the chest by a rocket in Lewes and a 3 Year Old who was burned by a Chinese lantern. Ok so the second one could have easily have happened at any time of year but it didn’t did it. And there were thousands more around the country where children and adults were injured by stray rockets and burning materials.
I was always cautious as a child, especially of fire, it was and still is my one biggest fears.
I hated all the rides and shows in Florida that involved fire. Whenever we went to fireworks displays I was always concerned about stray rockets etc. One year we did fireworks at home and I stood in the dining room behind the patio doors. What if?
Ok so fair enough what if rarely does occur but more often than not it can happen and when it does its normally when people do these things at home. In their own back garden. With no training. Unlike the professional pyrotechnic guys who have trained and know the safety behind these things. Instead we think we can put on a display all by ourselves, in our own back gardens, its on our own land, why wouldn’t it
be safe? But its not is it? Anything can go wrong.
Why are these things still legal? Why are they not regulated to only be used in controlled circumstances such as professional displays? What do you think? Should they be so readily available, the buy one get one frees that Tesco and other supermarkets run at this time of year only go to encourage people to buy them.
Personally I’d love to see fireworks regulated and banned from being sold so easily to people who don’t know how to use them.