This is a repost for a link up Circus Queen has done:
Yesterday a fellow NaBloPoMo blogger, Mummy mishaps, wrote about the age gap between her two boys. It got me thinking about the age gap between my boys.
In our household there is a 4 year and 8 month (and 5 days if you want to be picky) gap between DS1 and DS2. I had a miscarriage in 2009, had that pregnancy survived I would have had about 2 years, 8 months between them. So I almost came close to having two children close together.
Growing up I always dreamt of my family unit and what it would be like when I was “grown up” and I always envisaged siblings to have a close age gap. I am the oldest child and my brother is just 18 months younger than me. I was a miracle baby and my brother was even more of an unexpected but happy miracle baby. So my poor Mum had two under two! Personally I think anyone that does that it is admirable! I don’t think I could!
I remember after having DS1 being disappointed at the reality that he wouldn’t have a sibling close in age, I then remember when I fell pregnant in 2009 being thrilled that there would only be a 2yr 8month gap. Now I have a 4yr 8 month gap, and do you know what? Its brilliant! Many of my regular readers know how much I worried about how DS1 would react to a new sibling, after all he’d had four years of being the centre of Mummys universe and having all my attention. And I was thrilled when he immediately fell in love with his baby brother.
So here are my pros and cons to our age gap:
- Because DS1 is at school I get to spend quality time with DS2 during the day and then in the evenings when Grandma is round I get to focus some time on DS1, so I don’t feel torn between two children. Nor do I have to juggle activities such as baby massage etc with a older child.
- DS1 is more independent and likes to do things for himself and is far less reliant on me as his toddler days.
- DS1 talks, he communicates effectively and can tell me what he wants and needs, I don’t have to second guess what it is he is after thus making things a heck of a lot quicker than the days of playing “guess what the child is trying to communicate!”
- DS1 has become a fantastic little helper when it comes to his brother and talking to him if he is grouchy.
- DS1 is DS2s favourite form of entertainment!
- DS1 imitates the baby speak he hears from me and will sit and talk to moo in the exact same tones!
- Not needing a double buggy! What?? I’ve always been intrigued as to how well they handle etc!
- The fact that I’d got rid of all DS1 baby stuff as I never imagined I’d have another baby within any reasonable time span!